Subject: Re: How to run an FSB R&D lab (maybe)
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:19:40 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:27:30PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Bernard Lang wrote:
> >
> > yes ... it is called academia
> >
> > et it is well known as a time honoured model to develop knowledge.
> > And software is nothing else ...  same economy of intangible goods.
> >
> > See for example articles in First Monday.
>
> Is it? Funny thing I see, having done some academic work over the last
> few years as well as all the free software stuff I do, is that academics
> are far less prepared to share unfinished work, or even finished work
> that gives them an edge. This came as a big surprise to me, but I
> presume is a consequence of the way academia is funded (these days?).

when I said that, I was not thinking of free software only, but
scientific research in general.

  but you are right ... some people do not play the game well
... software creators are not all playing it well either ... some
times they just cannot let go ... for the control rather than the
profit, like parents who cannot let their kids live their own lives.

   And some cheat ...  like the would be free software companies that
file Linux patents to fend off competition.

  But, on the average it does work rather well.  I do think science is
a success  :-)
  free software too.

Amicalement

Bernard

> "There is no limit to what a man can do or how far he can go if he
> doesn't mind who gets the credit." - Robert Woodruff

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX