Subject: bias and prejudice
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:23:02 +0100

 Re: How to run an FSB R&D lab (maybe)

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 08:58:08PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>    From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
>    Why don't you do it?
>

> I'm working on it.
>
> -t

 good luck ...

This discussion is silly, and shows only the prejudices against the
state and society, and a fundamental lack of objectivity.

   The whole point of these structures is that they are not market
driven ... and that is, to a large extent, why they can be truly
innovative and rely more on imagination than on expectations and
financial returns.

  But the important point is "not market driven".  And that means that
it has to be managed by an entity that can afford investing money on
the long term, without really knowing what will come out.  That spells
large corporation possibly, but also states.  Why think in market
terms what is not related to market, except if you are totally biased
in thinking the market rules all, and that the state can only be a
nuisance.

  Actually, research or free software development has its own market
... it is just a different one, dealing in knowledge and fame.  And it
works,  more or less.

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX