Subject: Re: Red Hat Status
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

   From: Keith Bostic <bostic@sleepycat.com>

   http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1281001p-1315540c.html
	   State O' The World @ RedHat.

What's the disconnect here?  If big enterprise customers are signing
up with RH, why aren't the revenues growing?  The generic conclusion
would be that what RH is selling isn't of particularly high value to
those large customers.  So, what is it that those customers are
currently purchasing?  Do they just buy one boxed-set each or what?
And what is it that they need that RH isn't yet selling?

Another take on roughtly the same question: Is RH displacing some
other solution here?  What did the customers pay for that alternative?
Aside from what they contracted for from that alternative, what did
they informally expect?  Is that informal expectation met my RH?  Or
is it satisfied by just "the open source community" generally?  Can it
be turned into something that RH itself does or adds value to?  If so,
what would the contracts look like?

-t
lord@regexps.com, lord@emf.net
---
	How valuable is my contribution? Share your feedback at
	Affero:
	http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=tomlord