Subject: Re: Code Cheats in College
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:20:36 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi All,
>
> This story makes for a seed to an interesting discussion here, perhaps.
>
> http://www.thetartan.org/96/25/news/1633.asp

I took 15-211 at CMU sometime close to 1986.  So it could be
a totally different course now.  (I believe it was in LISP
then.)

I think the interesting item, from the FSB perspective,
is that this course is apparently still taught as "write the code"
instead of "reuse existing code with acceptable copyright terms
with proper attribution of sources."

I had a conversation once with a CS professor (at a different
university), trying to encourage the class projects to be
contribution to Free Software projects, (instead of writing
throw-away, made up projects.)  He was skeptical.  I think
it makes sense.

At CMU, 15-211 is not too early to start that kind of work.

Forrest, CMU grad, 1988.