Subject: Re: Code Cheats in College
From: "Nicholas K. Jennings" <nick@namodn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:15:24 -0700

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 04:40:21PM -0400, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

> How often does any programmer's real-world task start with no
> code in place?

 I find it much easier in some ways when I start from scratch than
 when I begin with someone elses code. In fact I'd say 90% of the
 projects I've worked on I've started, or co-started and had 0
 lines of code to begin with.

 Part of this also because instead of going to college I've taught
 myself these things, and I find I learn much better when I can
 begin from scratch. This isn't to say I don't learn from others
 codes & examples, but just letting someone else deal with the
 details while I extend ontop of their core interface is not
 as challenging as designing the systems from scratch.

- Nick