Subject: Re: Code Cheats in College
From: L.Jean Camp <jean_camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:56:31 -0700

The professors and TA at CMU actually read the code. Broken code can
teach you alot about what a student doesn't understand and multiple
identical codes indicates cheating. Usually students get a slap on the
wrist the first time.

The courses are built assuming reusable code. Operating systems assumes
that you have the queueing code from 211.  I can't imagine cheating
through 211 and 212 then passing any other class, when the code will not
be readily available.

Frankly alot of people may cheat in 211, but alot of them fail too.

If you want open code contributions a better place would be in advanced
classes.  Professors spend some time trying to construct reasonable and
interesting problems. Having assistance in creating the problems by OS
project leaders may be very helpful. By assigning the projects to teams,
the team with the best code would be the code contributors.

  Such coordination  is however hard work. In my case I have used final
exams which were real world information commerce strategy problems. It
is hard getting the information to frame the problem in a timely manner,
figuring out which HFP has a question with a timeline that fits with the
class and the set of problems that would be useful for the students.

-Jean