Subject: Re: futures markets
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 08:50:34 -0700 (PDT)

       > It seems like, for handing it and the prospects off, I should get some
       > reward in consideration for potential future earnings.

       I'm sure you've done a lot of useful work. However, ideas and prototypes
       are the easy part; for every successful project/product, there are a
       dozen failures littering the side of the road.

Well, this particular project is far beyond the "idea and prototype"
stage.

       *Completing* a project, and marketing/selling it (for pretty much every
       definition of marketing/selling, including opensource) is the hard part,
       which is *why* there are a dozen failed projects for every successful
       one.

That's an interesting _hypothesis_, but I don't have any a priori
reason to believe it, and you don't offer any evidence.

If anything, we can find examples of projects where the last stage of
development and marketing the result were so easy that projects got
"finished" that, perhaps, shouldn't have been.

But my original post here wasn't aimed at giving FSBers a chance to
tut-tut about whether or not I like to finish things -- it was to
raise the more interesting topic of "markets for abstractions" -- can
one create market economies for abstractions that are (almost?) too
complicated or too much determined by public mood to make the subject
of a contract.  Can buy and sell "ownership" or "open source
projects", for example?  You know -- so we can have our software Enron.

-t