Subject: Re: Exceptions to GPL, anyone have some prototype aggreements?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 25 May 2002 07:51:20 -0700

Al Davis <aldavis@ieee.org> writes:

> What I am looking for is something where those making a financial
> contribution to the development get the rights they would have under
> BSD license, but those making no contribution do not get these
> extended rights.

Since you wrote the code in question, you can do anything you like
with it (I assume your code is useful when it is not part of the
larger GPL project; otherwise the exercise is meaningless, since you
can't change the licensing of code which you don't hold copyright on).

The FSF deals with a similar issue when you assign copyright on code
to them.  Although you assign copyright to the FSF, they don't
prohibit you from using the specific code you wrote in other ways.
They say this:

    (d) FSF agrees to grant back to Developer, and does hereby grant,
    non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancellable rights to use the
    Works (i.e., Developer's changes and/or enhancements, not the Program
    that they enhance), as Developer sees fit; this grant back does not
    limit FSF's rights and public rights acquired through this agreement.

If you can't do something like this, then I haven't understand the
issue you are raising.

Ian