Subject: Re: Exceptions to GPL, anyone have some prototype aggreements?
From: D Henkel-Wallace <gumby@Henkel-Wallace.org>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 18:58:53 -0700

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 01:39 , Al Davis wrote:

> I am doing some work that will be developing some software that is to
> be released under GPL.  I have it partly developed now, but the
> project has been on hold for a while.  Nothing has been released yet.
>  I have some funders lined up who will fund the completion of the
> work in exchange for exceptions to GPL on this work.  We have a
> verbal agreement on approximately what is expected.  I need to
> formalize it.
>
> Are there are any prototype aggreements for this that have already
> been written, that I could copy?  Does anyone here have experience on
> this that you would be willing to share?

Karsten and Ian have already pointed out that you can do what you want.  I
think what you're asking is _how_.

Assuming that you own the complete copyright to the project in progress
and that you are signing some contract with the funders to do some work,
then just add language like the following to your consulting contract:
"<Funders> will have a perpetual, non-exclusive license to <TECHNOLOGY>
upon payment of final invoice.  Copyright of <TECHNOLOGY> shall remain
with Al Davis."

Of course, IANAL, so YMMV; this is just M(ns)HO.