Subject: Re: Choardic Commons
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:39:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Jack Park wrote:
> I do not know if anybody gets paid for their work in the
> Apache enterprise,

Anecdotally speaking, the vast majority of people with commit privs on
Apache source code who work on Apache do so for some reason related
partially, or entirely, to their employer.

> though I imagine that there must be paid employees
> somewhere in that infrastructure.

The only people the Apache Software Foundation has paid for their time are
lawyers.

> I think the central thrust of my inquiry, which mentioned Chaordic
> Commons, relates to the issue of finding a business model in which
> collaboration and employment can find a mutually satisfying home.

I find it curious when people don't think that collaboration is
*essential* to getting one's job done.  Open source tends to get pitched
as an all-or-nothing proposition; this makes it tough to see it in the
context of collaboration that happens today in almost every field.  Many
companies, even competitors, work together on projects of
non-differentiating value, and then compete elsewhere.  Even non-tech
industries are full of standards bodies and certification entities that
drive this commonality, and working together to write software to meet
that common need allows everyone to focus more time on the
differentiation.  So I approach it from the other side of the fence, I
guess.

	Brian