Subject: Re: Chaordic Commons
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:03:08 -0400 (EDT)

Eric Renaud writes on behalf of Sun:
> Sorry, don't mean to be preachy (or self-indulgent), but the success
> of Jxta.org is a clear example that a large,
> widely-known-for-proprietary-software company can not only
> contribute, but also sponsor and play fair in Open Source.  (As are
> OpenOffice.org, NetBeans.org, and Grid Engine).

While JXTA, SGE, and NetBeans may someday be very important, they are
currently not very important in practice.  Let's not let speculative
technology distract us from Sun's long history of writing free
software, including many mainstays of today's free world: NFS, NIS,
parts of Emacs, and, of course, OpenOffice.

Nevertheless, one of the biggest problems I run into with
all-free-software computers today is that I can't run Java programs on
them.  There's Kaffe and there's GCJ, but as far as I can tell,
there's nothing compatible enough with the Sun JVM that I can run Ant.
In order to benefit from all this great work Sun is open-sourcing in
JXTA and NetBeans --- not to mention other projects like Jakarta and
many Alphaworks things --- I have to assume the risks and suffer the
pain of giving proprietary software full control of my machines.

This may not seem like a problem to Sun, but it's a problem for me.
Does Sun have a plan to solve it?  Is there an existing solution I'm
missing?

To forget the evil in oneself is to turn one's own good -- now
untethered from modesty and rendered tyrannical -- into a magnified
power for evil.  -- Steve Talbot, NETFUTURE #129, via SMART Letter