Subject: Re: Donation models
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 21:26:51 +0800

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

>     Benjamin> 5. I think it would be a good idea to study how
>     Benjamin> universities solicit alumni donations, and see if there
>     Benjamin> is anything that can be learned there.
>
> One thing that struck me immediately is that I use more open source
> programs than the number of courses, let alone schools, I attended.

Too true.

However most computer programmers wind up with a fairly small set of
core tools and technologies that they use consistently, and they
typically accumulate more time mastering that core set than they do
going to university.  As Karsten pointed out to me, that core set can
become a primary allegiance.  Signs that this has happened for a given
platform or project include local user groups, conferences, etc.

Free software projects that attract that kind of usage are obviously
at an advantage when it comes to scaring up donations.

Cheers,
Ben
Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/