Subject: Re: developers & marketing
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:18:02 -0500

> Also, without ads, we don't know what to buy, and in a consumer
> driven culture it's important that people buy things.  When people
> stop buying things, we have a depression, which is bad for
> everybody.  (I'm not sure whether I'm just being cynical or whether
> this is just an inevitable characteristic of capitalism.)

When people don't do what manufacturers predict, manufacturers don't
get a return on years of investment and we have a depression.  I like
to keep my eye on raising my standard of living.  Producing and
consuming cheap junk is a distraction that doesn't raise it much.  I
think consumer culture is more a product of people's short attention
spans and susceptability to flash, than capitalism per se.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org