Subject: Re: advice sought (really: fundraiser status)
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:30:42 +0100

Tom Lord:
> After months or years at contemplating FSBs, _that's_ your grand idea?

You don't seem to have a better one. You asked for one, one got suggested.

> Or do you intend just to insult me by saying I shouldn't be paid for
> programming?  Shouldn't be able to afford the tools of the trade?
> Shouldn't have enough time to do anything substantial?  Shouldn't have
> health insurance?  Should have my savings eaten up by asshole
> employers?  What?  In what way specifically do you think I ought to be
> screwed here?

Life is hard. Isn't it tragic?

Look at how other open source folk do it: they do it in their spare time,
at evenings, weekends, after work, or when they're at college. Maybe you
could go back to college; it's a great opportunity to get a lot of hacking
done. And you get to meet girls. I should go back to college.

Or they get a reasonable business model, and make their living out of that.

Or they work in a restaurant, if it comes down to it.

It's a lovely idea to have someone pay you to do precisely whatever you want
to do, but in the case of way over 99% of the world's working population,
things don't work that way. I don't believe you're in the other 1%. Deal.

> I'm sure you have a comfortable cadre of FSBers who
> will back you up so, by all means, go for it.

Is this how you intend to win support?

Serioursly, Tom, let's be honest. Every post you make here is either a direct
appeal for cash, or an appeal for cash thinly disguised as pie-in-the-sky
economic opinion or FSB theory. Hundreds, nay, thousands of successful open
source projects don't appear to need to do this, and damn, it gets tiresome.

--
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
		-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie