Subject: Re: advice sought (really: fundraiser status)
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:38:32 +0100

Benjamin J. Tilly :
> And I don't get the reference unles you mean the missionary
> movement which is inspired by the story of Daniel.

Close; it was Paul. And now I think about it - and I'm honestly not being
funny here - metaphorical tentmaking isn't such a bad free software funding
proposal.

Although you may think you deserve the cash - and maybe you do - it does
wonders for your dignity to be able to not accept it:

    First Paul argues for church and donor support, and establishes his right
    to have it, as an apostle. But then he says three times that he has never
    made any use of it. His team has always supported itself--and not mere
    token employment.
        (http://www.globalopps.org/faqs.htm)

With donations, you're beholden - or at least, appear to be - to your donors,
but with tentmaking, nobody can say that you've been bought by any party:

     For example, in many countries people think missionaries are paid with
     foreign money to preach. Working would overcome that suspicion. In some
     cultures laziness is endemic. Hard-working missionaries can set the
     standard for their converts by farming, fixing cars, repairing computers,
     or whatever, full-time.
        (http://www.missiology.org/EMS/bulletins/reapsome.htm)

Hmm.

Simon