Subject: Re: advice sought
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

Tom Lord writes:
> So, what's the best strategy here, for august?
>         *) declare bankruptcy, move into a shelter, ask your
>            contractor friends for an entry level union job.

I'm not sure if this is a serious question, and of course I don't know
enough about your personal situation to really answer.  But here's
what I'd do in a situation similar to yours:

* reduce expenses to minimum: home-cooked food costs less than $1 a
  day, while shelter shared with roommates, even in SF, can cost less
  than $15 a day; if that's not enough, I'm sure you can find geek
  couches to crash on here in the City for a couple of months if you
  have good personal hygiene.
* get a job!  Geez, Tom, do you think the world owes you a living for
  writing arch? Yeah, arch is a nice design as far as I can tell, but
  that and two dollars will get you a cup of coffee.

Like you, I wish there was a way for people building innovative
software like arch to make a living at it, especially when the
software is free.  But there isn't, and I have to live with that.  My
personal solution is to make a living building non-innovative
proprietary software, but so far, I haven't been very successful at
devoting spare time to implementing innovative free software.

I also wish that my actor friends didn't have to have jobs as soap
saleswomen and receptionists.  But they do, and so do you, unless you
learn to be a businessman, something I am struggling with myself.

This is exactly how the World Wide Web works: the HTML files are the pithy
description on the paper tape, and your Web browser is Ronald Reagan.
  -- Neal Stephenson, at http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning_print.html