Subject: Re: advice sought
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 00:29:09 -0700 (PDT)

       I'm not sure if this is a serious question

It is, though it expresses exhasperation at reaching the end of a very
long road.

	* reduce expenses to minimum: home-cooked food costs less than $1 a
	  day

Seconded.  I recommend "Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking",
the califorinia institute's latest edition of A-Z, Espe-brown's bread
book, "Think Like a Chef", Molly Katzen's foo, and a handful of
others.  For god's sake, as soon as you can afford it, buy a damn
dough-capable mixer, a food processor, a pizza stone, and a rice
cooker.  Invest in storage and organizational tools for your pantry.
Basically, I think you offer excellent advice (that I don't need).

Actually, I recommend these things and the economic solution you
suggest regardless of economic circumstance.  It's just cool.

	* get a job!

Welcome to the bay area.  Others have said that less delicately and
the temptation to point out their implicit bigotry and classism is
tempered only by the charter of this list.

	I also wish that my actor friends didn't have to have jobs as soap
	saleswomen and receptionists.

How much do you earn?  How much of it do you pass along to people you
like?  (Or do you just sit back and "tut-tut" :-)  [That's *not* a
serious question -- it's none of our business!]

I tend to think that

	a) the expenses and responsibility associated with programming
	   are pretty high -- so wages should be too.  *NOT* that
	   this means "Oh, I deserve a lot more than that pipe-fitter
	   guy", just that it means my cash flow has to be able to
	   handle stupid incidentals like, oh, oops -- my monitor just
	   died, better whip out $800 bucks this afternoon.

	b) if your profession involves a substantial cash flow, it's
	   good practice (for oh so many reasons) to spread it around
	   as much as possible, short of screwing yourself or your
	   professional duties.  If nothing else, this is a
	   semi-democratic way to fix markets that aren't quite
	   functioning in the way one might like.

-t