Subject: Re: advice sought
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:31:52 -0700

   From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
   Date: 31 Jul 2002 11:37:10 -0700

   Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

   > 	a) the expenses and responsibility associated with programming
   > 	   are pretty high -- so wages should be too.  *NOT* that
   > 	   this means "Oh, I deserve a lot more than that pipe-fitter
   > 	   guy", just that it means my cash flow has to be able to
   > 	   handle stupid incidentals like, oh, oops -- my monitor just
   > 	   died, better whip out $800 bucks this afternoon.

   By the way, I did some of my best programming using a Wyse 50 which
   even when I bought it cost me $50.

Ann Arbor Ambassador 60-line glass tty, at 300, 1200, and 2400 baud
(respectively, as time went on) to a Sun 3/50 at MIT, UCSB.  That's
how I wrote Bash.

GNU Info was written on an old HP with 48Mb RAM, and 300MB of disk
running NetBSD with my serial driver for a network connection at 2400
baud to UCSB.  I paid $400 for the whole machine including monitor.

   I think there's a store in Sunnyvale which sells used old monitors.
   It's across the street from Fry's.  They're very cheap, and Emacs
   still works fine on them.

Yup.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==