Subject: Re: endemic problem?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:55:00 +0900

    Tom> It seems like every other message I get from a volunteer
    Tom> contains a phrase like "I wish I could spend more time on
    Tom> this but I can only afford a little part time contribution
    Tom> right now."

There's a Japanese proverb that goes "hokori ga atsumattara, yama ni
naru" (if enough dust collects in one place, you get a mountain).

What this means is that you need a meta-maintainer for your project,
someone who knows just enough about the code to pick out bite-sized
pieces.

It's a shitty job, I'll tell you---I know, because it's mine.  But
when you see the mountain start to grow, you realize you've
accomplished something.

Maybe you can get one of the "I only have a little time and worse
coding skills" volunteers to do it.  There are often a bunch of those
around (for user apps; infrastructure stuff like your CVS replacement
probably won't have many people who prefer to contribute non-coding
work).