Subject: Re: [arch-dev] universities struggling to avoid making money
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

But indulge me, please --

I read in the news that UCB, for example, is having a debate[1] about
their licensing practices, for the simple reason that they can't
afford to turn down lots of money.

So -- even though its a learning institution, it's also a "value
creation" factory.

FSBs are, in theory, good at managing that kind of value well enough
to produce a profit.  Maybe they should all sell shares to the
universities, then set up business-oriented "CS-depts" at various
interesting locations, and catch as catch can.

-t

[1] I read about that a long time ago -- the debate might be over by now.