Subject: Re: [arch-dev] universities struggling to avoid making money
From: Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:27:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Tom Lord wrote:

> But indulge me, please --
>
> I read in the news that UCB, for example, is having a debate[1] about
> their licensing practices, for the simple reason that they can't
> afford to turn down lots of money.

Wny? It would be a simple matter for them to create an "Open University"
license on their technology that would allow non-commercial and
educational access for gratis while charging commercial use a percentage
of the profits, or set a minimal donation level.

Restrictive licenses are not the only solution.

What are patents and copyrights supposed to do? They have two(!)
functions. The first is to provide society as a whole with an expanding
amount of technology and information. The second is to promote or motivate
people to get involved and product it. Unfortunately our society (and most
western ones for that matter) have focused on the second and excluded the
first.

THE point of IP is to create a world where there is a large library of
MP3's (for example) that people -can- share freely and without
consequence. The way to get that is to give the creator a limited(!)
period of income. It is not, and never was (supposed) to be about getting
rich.

> So -- even though its a learning institution, it's also a "value
> creation" factory.

No, people want to turn it into that so they can make money through
control. There is a difference between 'Capitalism' and 'capitalism'.

                  Conform and be dull......J. Frank Dobie

     ravage@ssz.com                                         www.ssz.com
     jchoate@open-forge.org                          www.open-forge.org