Subject: Re: in fact, that's a good formula
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:52:59 -0700 (PDT)

	> FSBs ought to create an environment in which I can live like
	> a student

What an odd short-hand.  No, I don't think that's what I mean.

For example, students have detailed, full, imposed schedules; inverse
pay; substandard and transient-only housing; and a kind of summer-camp
society.  That's not the perspective on universities I'm pointing
towards.

	> "Computer science" is the department

When I've said "cs dept", in quotes like that, I mean "work with
computing that is integrated into a larger university culture".
You're looking at something very narrow when you talk about, for
example, what the tenure-tracked in a given dept. are facing this year
or that.

	> We're currently engaged in a small battle with the University lawyers
	> about whether or not we can actually *legally* release the things we're
	> releasing.

If it's a licensing issue, its an example of why someone should grant
huge equity in several good FSBs to a bunch of universities:  that
solves the potential conflict and starts to build a relationship.
Just don't expect the cs depts to do anything in return for that.

To make it make sense from the VC side (just to recap the whole field
(double or nothing?)) -- well, that just gets back to same old R&D
foo.

	> Tom is correct in some sense: FSBs need research and design wings. They
	> need to fund research and design so that a new generation of free
	> software gets created. But let's not forget that free software evolves
	> out of necessity far more efficiently than it evolves out of curiosity.

A lot of good free software comes from people with time, freedom,
resources, and interest in computing.  Idiotic authority pretty much
kills the conditions of success.

-t