Subject: Re: [arch-dev] universities struggling to avoid making money
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:04:14 +0500

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> Caving in to Microsoft on IP issues would not be socially beneficial,
> IMO, but calling strong IP "legal theft" just alienates reasonable
> people who could otherwise be your allies in the policy debate.  Not
> to mention lots of _unreasonable_ people: Jim Buchanan, Ron Coase, and
> Milton Friedman all backed the libraries in their lawsuit against the
> copyright extension by signing the amicus brief.
[...]

Don't I recall that the brief that Friedman signed his
name to labelled the extension of existing copyrights
as a form of public taking with no compensation?  If
that isn't a form of theft, then I don't know what is.

Cheers,
Ben
Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/