Subject: Re: [arch-dev] universities struggling to avoid making money
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:05:11 +0900

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> Caving in to Microsoft on IP issues would not be socially beneficial,
> IMO, but calling strong IP "legal theft" just alienates reasonable
> people who could otherwise be your allies in the policy debate.  Not
> to mention lots of _unreasonable_ people: Jim Buchanan, Ron Coase, and
> Milton Friedman all backed the libraries in their lawsuit against the
> copyright extension by signing the amicus brief.
[...]

    Benjamin> Don't I recall that the brief that Friedman signed his
    Benjamin> name to labelled the extension of existing copyrights as
    Benjamin> a form of public taking with no compensation?  If that
    Benjamin> isn't a form of theft, then I don't know what is.

I think you should review the definition of theft.

Be that as it may, this is exactly what I was advising against.
"Extension of existing copyright" is not synonymous with "strong IP";
in fact, they're basically independent.  And my central point is that
Friedman & Co, advocates of strong property rights though they are,
often will take positions against extension of property rights in this
arena.  If so, less extreme thinkers should be _more_ persuadable.

Granted, there really isn't a middle ground for FSB and Friedman that
I can see (Russ Nelson might have something interesting to say about
that, though).  But why deliberately alienate those who find the
strong property rights position more or less persuasive by drawing
attention to the excesses of the pork barrellers as if they were the
main line of thought?