Subject: Re: universities struggling to avoid making money
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

	> i don't think it is that the universities are struggling to
	> *avoid* making money.  private universities very much do
	> want to make money,

Right, but some of the creators *get* free content; and anyway, pretty
much everyone I've met at universities thinks like Jim Choate: they
ain't there to be businesses.

What FSBs should notice is that university *environments* have a 20+
year track record of producing the most commercially valuable open
source software in the world (by far).  Companies that specialize in
turning that value into profit (employment, etc) haven't done anything
like a convincing job of proving that they aren't simply leeches.
Meanwhile, PSBs knock politely on the chancellor's door and say "you
know, with this `academic use only' licensing alternative, we could
give you $X/year in royalties for the bits you exude and we'll dance
with you to protect academic freedom".

That PSB message isn't unproblematic -- in the worst case, it's facism
with a smily face.  There's plenty of opportunity for FSBs to *serve*
universities, *expand* their environment, and *protect* freedom while
making a profit.

-t