Subject: Re: in fact, that's a good formula
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2002 17:21:34 -0400

Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:
> VC's recap a bunch of FSBs who issue matching stocks to
> various _universities_ and adopt the mission of fostering
> those existing business models that mostly work while,
> internally, figuring out how to duplicate the repeatedly
> demonstrated success of "cs depts" at producing commercially
> significant free software.

We perhaps two examples of significant sized free software businesses
that are known to have succeeded, and a large number which have
failed, with many others being either essentially small consulting
shops or "lifestyle" businesses for their owners.

I'm not in any way suggesting that the free software business concept
should be abandoned, but if I were, say, Harvard, I wouldn't be
trusting my income to pre-IPO stock from FSBs, at least at the current
point in history.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com