Subject: Re: [lord@regexps.com: Re: [lord@regexps.com: Re: arch advocates]]
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 11:21:35 -0700

Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

>    >    Red Hat does have internal projects as well.  But if you can get the
>    >    well known free software projects to switch, Red Hat will probably
>    >    also switch.  The reverse is not true.
>
> I think that's just superstition.
>
> Get the authorized decision makers on-board for the general direction,
> on the basis of good analysis of the technology, then dance the dance
> of "hey, let's all go *that* way" at a leisurely, happy pace: that's
> my goal.

You may be making the mistake of thinking that Red Hat, the company,
is a technology leader.  They are not.

They do technology packaging and technology consulting, but I don't
see a lot of evidence that they are trying to take the world in the
direction of new technology.  In the direction of a new business
model, maybe.  But most of their arguments seem to be ``do more or
less what you do today, only cheaper and better.''

Some Red Hat employees are technology leaders.

The ``authorized decision makers'' you should be trying to convince
are people like the gcc steering committee and Linus Torvalds.

Ian