Subject: Re: [lord@regexps.com: Re: [lord@regexps.com: Re: arch advocates]]
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:28:27 -0700

   Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>

   Is that a joke?  I mean, isn't managing technology a large part of
   what those companies are for?

No, it isn't a joke.

Maybe your potential customers don't want to buy something called
technology.  Try selling them an application that satisfies a need
that they already percieve that they have.  This seems to be an opaque
concept for you -- I've said it about 20 times in the last 6 months,
and yet you consistently explain that your technology is winning.

The people with the money apparently don't care how winning your
technology is -- at least, not in the way that you talk about it.

   I *have* tried (not in the voice you see from me on this list) to make
   friends in other dimensions as an indirect route to getting to the
   technology discussion -- you know, stuff (like): yeah, I like golf too
   and isn't the weather great today and, hey, ain't we both human here,
   and dude: check out these excellent fresh-baked pretzels.  Like I said
   -- I'm a total sales amateur.

Right.

Okay, let's help you.  You are the CEO of your company -- it makes a
product called "arch".  I want to sell you some technology.  It is a
CRM system that will help you with your customer infrastructure.

Not only aren't you buying, you couldn't be less interested.  Reason
being, that isn't your number 1, 2, 3, or even 20th problem.  Your
number 1 problem right now is sales.

Now, if I told you that I could get $4MM in sales in year 1, and I
wanted to get 20% of that in my pocket in the form of salaries and
bonuses, to be paid only after your first check came in, would you be
interested in what I had to say?

Your discussions of technology isn't even on the radar for the people
that you have been talking to.  Find out what *is* on their radar, and
figure out what technology you have, or can build, that addresses that
problem.

Interestingly enough, you might be able to sell arch to the same
people that you have been talking to, if you simply start talking
their language.  And their language isn't about technical excellence,
it is about fewer heads, and bigger ROI.

Do you understand what I am saying to you?

Brian

   -t