Subject: Re: selling SCM solutions
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

       > we're all just telling you the way that it is

Speaking to "you" collectively:

No, you aren't telling me -- you are dictating.

	[various sales advice]

That's a formula -- but it is hopelessly abstract.  We could make it
apply to nearly *anything*.  It is all but meaningless.

As a description of your dealings in relatively small markets, it
makes perfect sense.   As a justification for a class-based
bifurcation between "big business" and "the rest of us", it is
intolerable.   Would you like to chat about patch set semantics and
 their relationship to the larger picture?

	> Contrariwise, you display so little of 3 and 4 that you can't get
	> customers to listen to you at all.

	[where 3 and 4 were:]

	3) The customer believes that I understand their needs,
           such that I will be continuing to provide them with
           responsive support and features in the future,

	4) The customer has enough trust in my integrity to believe
           what I say, and

Please read more carefully and, if you have legitimate questions, I
know some good cafes, pubs, restaurants, and parks where we might get
into details.  Plus, I have a phone number.

	> The people on this list who are responding to you are doing you a
	> tremendous favor

Agreed.  I only hope that my not-quite-harmonious response is not
poorly received.  In *some* significant ways, in my opinion, not in
reference to my posts specifically, the content on FSB has
dramatically improved recently [however, (ahem!) paypal, overdue
bills, impending disaster, etc.]

       > they are giving you the respect of believing that you are
       > salvageable, and are
       > carefully explaining what you need to change, within yourself, in
       > order to start the process of becoming financially solvent in the
       > software business.

This is the same respect I've been trying to pay the people who are
*not* responding.  Should they respond meaningfully, then we could
(probably) find the bug and return to business as usual.

-t