Subject: [fsb] re: selling SCM solutions
From: Rich Persaud <persaud@b8d.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:05:54 -0700

 Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:05:54 -0700
Tom,

|  Agreed.  I only hope that my not-quite-harmonious response is not
|  poorly received.  In *some* significant ways, in my opinion, not in
|  reference to my posts specifically, the content on FSB has
|  dramatically improved recently [however, (ahem!) paypal, overdue
|  bills, impending disaster, etc.]

As the Coliseum's Romans and California's Highway Patrol might attest, death pulls the
human locus of attention.   The semantic death of a smart person would attract smart
people.  Some to rescue.  Some to stoke.  Some in search of risk-reducing negative role
models.

|  > they are giving you the respect of believing that you are
|  > salvageable, and are
|  > carefully explaining what you need to change, within yourself, in
|  > order to start the process of becoming financially solvent in the
|  > software business.
|
|  This is the same respect I've been trying to pay the people who are
|  *not* responding.  Should they respond meaningfully, then we could
|  (probably) find the bug and return to business as usual.

Codependency semantics:  eliminate second and third person pronouns, "must" and "should".

Codependency design patterns: http://www.winternet.com/~terrym/codependency.html

With that out of the way ... there is no bad publicity, only bad public relations.
The semantic ambiguity of one-line principles notwithstanding, I have found value in
the sales-oriented table of contents of "The Best Seller" by D. Forbes Ley:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0961331925/reader/2

On the subject of geek determinism, Cory D's "0wnz0red":

  http://salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/28/0wnz0red/print.html

The following quote helped me persist on challenging paths, including OSS:
--
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled
or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.  The credit belongs to the man

Rich Persaud
SF Bay Area Colocation: http://b8d.net
OSS Java: http://javaindex.org