Subject: Re: arch advocates
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2002 22:18:32 -0700

Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

> 	Don't insult potential customers.
>
> It's freekin hard.  I think I do better in person than via email.
> Really.

Well, I admittedly haven't seen you in a few years, but, I doubt it.
I think it's more that people are naturally more polite in person, in
the spirit of ``maybe if I speak quietly and move slowly he'll go away
and bother somebody else.''

> 	If someone rejects you, try to understand why.
>
> And, if their reasons are understandable, yet intolerable -- what
> then?  That's where I'm at.

In the realm of business, you prove them wrong by starting your own
business and succeeding.  That's one good thing about a roughly free
market system like the one we have in the U.S.: you can pretty much
start whatever business you like, assuming it's not illegal.

In realms like politics, law, science, and religion, things are
different.  But I don't think you're talking about those realms,
except perhaps metaphorically.

Ian