Subject: Re: Open Source shareware?
From: "La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll" <piggy@baqaqi.chi.il.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:41:26 -0500

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:
> On Saturday 14 September 2002 07:16, Claus Sørensen wrote:
> > You don't have to put the source code a long the binary product that you
> > sell, give away or can be downloaded for free or not. But you should
> > give a written offer for users to get the source code for no more costs
> > than the distribution cost.
>
>          Actually, it has to be for any 3rd party.  Well, if it's
> all his original code he can do what he wants, it's only if he
> incorporates GPL'ed code

The offer of source code under the GPL ONLY applies to folks who you
supply binaries to.  Or did you mean something else?

> > You could also have a shareware version which has some limitations or
> > irritations for people who has not bought the GPL version (free
> > software is not gratis software).
>
>      Well, don't expect that to work for long.  I'm sure someone will
> put the code somewhere on the Net (as they can under the GPL).
> Now, if we were talking about corporate customers, maybe not.
> But there are plenty of people who give out proprietary software when they
> have paid for it and it is illegal; why wouldn't they when it is legal?

I think there are folks on this list who could give more accurate
data, but I believe that Cygnus distributed the EGCS tool chain this
way for many years.  It did not become widely available until Cygnus
released it themselves.