Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 18:11:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> bb said:
>    I thought the GPL said if you give out binaries, you must be prepared
>    to give source to everyone, not just who you gave the binary to.  If
>    it didn't work this way, vendors and customers could implement a
>    conspiracy to keep GPLed source proprietary to the trading partners.
>
> No, the GPL makes no requirements that you give the binaries or source
> to anyone.

I'll keep this short:  You are wrong.  bb is right.  See section 3 of the
GPL, either version 1 or version 2.

It is stupid for people to argue in public about what the GPL says; the
full text of the GPL is readily available online, and it's really a very
short and clear document.  Read it instead of debating whether it does or
does not require a particular thing.

Kragen