Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Benjamin J. Tilly  wrote:
> http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/02/10/23/1247236.shtml?tid=4
>
> A Washington State senator is trying to make it government
> policy to not support research that produces GPLed
> software because the GPL is a license that "would prevent
> or discourage commercial adoption" of technologies.
>
> Yeah, right.

Everyone knows my biases, but I think there's a pretty reasonable point
here.  A "university" license would, in my opinion, be the most
appropriate license for government-funded software to be released under.
Simply by virtue of being compatible with all other existing licenses,
Open Source or not, it makes the software more widely usable, and thus
more valuable to society as a whole.  Since a properly-formed university
license is compatible with the GPL, it would also not prevent government
funds from going to funds that are based on GPL software, for example the
Linux kernel.  If I were a senator I'd be tempted to sign onto such
legislation.  I'd look very closely, though, for any easter eggs left by
software vendors from Washington State.

	Brian