Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: Value returned from free(d) software
From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:18:24 -0800

Joel Weber said:
> No, the GPL makes no requirements that you give the binaries or source
> to anyone.

	You are both sort of right.  With the GPL, you have two
options for commercial distribution:

	1. Include source whenever you distribute the binaries (section 3a
	   of the GPLv2).  In this case, you have no further obligations
	   to provide source.

	2. Distribute binaries with a written offer to provide sources
	   (section 3b of the GPLv2).  This offer has to be valid for
	   at least three years, and it is made to everybody, not just
           your customer.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."