Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:28:30 +0900

    Peter> There are plenty of other advantages. The GPL license is
    Peter> also much better for classified parts of the government. It
    Peter> may not be perfect, but it doesn't force them to tell MS,
    Peter> Sun, IBM or someone else

Seriously, do you think the CIA and the NSA tell Microsoft anything
classified?  I'm sure they negotiate for, and get, (a) site licenses
and (b) source licenses.  They probably pay more than they should, but
that's the spy business.

    Peter> The access to the source code is also an unqualified
    Peter> advantage for classified parts of the government.

They already have that.  "Second-source" is based on access to the
blueprints, no?

People seem to forget the underlying point of the Provisional
Education Wing of the Source Liberation Army: the customer can insist
on source code, and refuse to buy if they don't get it.  When the
customer is the government, I suspect they get what they ask for!

What the Free Software Movement is about is source for the rest of us.