Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:01:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 chrismaeda@attbi.com wrote:
> An interesting followup question is what do you
> think of govt funding proprietary software research?

I have heard, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Goverment cannot itself
hold copyright; thus I would assume that any software actually written by
a government employee on the clock would essentially be public domain, and
anyone could pick it up and use it.  That sounds too good to be true
though... if it's not true, though, that would be a great thing to lobby
for.

As for money that goes from government coffers to corporate interests for
the purposes of software development ("research" or not) - I think they
should work out whatever deal makes sense to either party, though it'd be
great to have the value of an open source license on the delivered code
factored into the negotiations.  That is to say, the gov't should realize
that spending more money on an open source solution than a competitive
cheaper but closed-source alternative, is worth it.  That would go against
the lowest-bidder mentality they have, though.

	Brian