Subject: Re: terms
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 21:18:05 -0500 (EST)

   If I say people can charge reasonable copying fees of a couple hundred
   dollars per copy, then software hoarders will charge that much for
   every little patch, and the software will be significantly less
   available.  Instead, I want to say it's your job to ensure your code
   is easily available.  If your code is so awful that no site wants to
   carry it, you can put it up on a cheap web site.  There are corners
   where you can write 500 Meg of awful code and have to cut CDROMS, yes.
   But why optimize for the uncommon case?

Consider that a significant amount of the FSF's income comes from selling
$5000 Deluxe Distributions.  Do you think that cutting off this revenue
would advance free software?

(When the FSF sells a deluxe distribution, they hire someone to compile
all the software for your particular platform, and they give you the
FSF's CDROMs and manuals.  Occasionally they get lucky and someone orders
a deluxe distribution for something that they recently did a build for...)