Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: L Jean Camp <jcamp@camail1.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:43:53 -0400

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 16:00, Bernard Lang wrote:

> The whole idea of the Bayh-Dole act is that more benefits will be
> extracted from research if it is appropriated.
>   One can well assert that for some software creations, there will be
> more contribution and more uses, hence more benefit to the economy if
> it is GPLed.

The Bayh-Dole act extended to all universities an agreement that had been the
priviledge of very few high end research universities.

According to all discussions of the policy that I have observed or
participated in at KSG, the goal was to remove the institutional objections
to building research and supporting research at state institutions.

The goal was to encourage the proliferation of research capacity in
universities across the nation.

There is an active debate -- has Bayh-Dole outlived its value? Would
repealling Bayh-Dole cause a return to the bad old days when 90% of the
funding went to 10% of the institutions? O rhas research been
institutionalized across the nation?

Currently government information and software tends to be put in the public
domain -- it is ungoverned. The information can be captured and made
proprietary. A most interesting case of the perverse incentives can be found
in West Publishing.

-Jean