Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: Chris Maeda <chrismaeda@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:38:42 -0700

I looked up MSFT's latest financial release
(operating results for Sept 02 quarter, Oct 17).
They had $7.4B revenue and $2.7B net income.
EBIT was $4B and they paid $1.3B in taxes.
In the Sept 01 quarter (a really bad quarter)
EBIT was $1.9B and they still paid $600M in taxes.
Do you still think that proprietary software is not
a great business model?

(EBIT = Earnings Before Income Tax)