Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:44:01 +0900

    Ian> It just happens that Microsoft is the only company which is
    Ian> picking up the profit.  The other companies simply lost their
    Ian> investment.

The numbers are macro numbers.  (I didn't say that, so you couldn't
know, of course.)  This comes out in the wash when the winners and
losers are aggregated.

    Ian> I don't think you can use return on investment to come to any
    Ian> conclusions about proprietary software versus free software.

It's not ROI, it's IRR.  IRR is a generic formula for evaluating
projects, and may include (as in my case) the social benefits.  ROI is
that part of the benefit captured by the investor, which is quite a
different matter.  (Admittedly, I only can measure benefits that are
included in GDP, but that still leaves substantial room for variance
between ROI and IRR.)

    Ian> It's impossible to measure the productivity generated by free
    Ian> software.

How _dare_ you say that _on FSB_?  How can you run a business without
measuring the value of the product?  What value is there to software
besides productivity?