Subject: RE: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: "Wendel de Joode, Ruben" <r.vanwendeldejoode@tbm.tudelft.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:01:15 +0200

 Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:01:15 +0200
>     Ian> It's impossible to measure the productivity generated by free
>     Ian> software.

Stephen> How  dare  you say that  on FSB ?  How can you run a business
without
Stephen> measuring the value of the product?  What value is there to
software
Stephen> besides productivity?

I am not sure, but does a company really value free software, I mean the
product? I can imagine that a company measures the expected return on
providing training, consultancy, training etc, based on free software,
but free software itself?

As to convince customers to start using free software: is that based on
hard data about productivity gains? How do you measure that in a
company? Maybe in theory you could measure the productivity generated by
free software, but in practice? How would one do so?

Ruben van Wendel de Joode
Delft, University of Technology
0031 (0) 15 278 1105 (telephone)
rubenw@tbm.tudelft.nl