Subject: Re: Mechanizing community information resources
From: Peter Thoeny <peter.thoeny@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:19:44 -0700

I am subscribed to this list but am reading posts
only on rare occasions. This reply was triggered
by a search for "wiki", hence the reason for the
delay in replying.

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> > In addition, the discussion has no pre-existing structure; if I have a
> > new topic, I have to dream up names for my topic and sub-topics, find
> > places to link them into the rest of the wiki, etc.
>
> It's worse than that.  There really *is* no structure.  The structure
> that exists is via interrelationships between pages, references,
> backtracking, and searching.

Structure or not, this depends on how you use TWiki.
Agreed, there is no structure if you use TWiki in the
traditional Wiki way.

Not many TWiki users are aware of TWikiForms [1] and
FormattedSearch [2] embedded in pages. Both combined
can be used to structure free form content and present
it in reports, like for example in tabular format in
the TWikiInstallations directory [3].

It can also be used to create simple workflow systems.
For example, the TWiki dev team uses TWiki to keep
track of features and bugs by classifying pages [4].
A BugReport [5] gets promoted to BugAssigned, then
BugResolved, or it gets marked as BugDuplicate or
BugRejected. To promote a feature or bug, you edit the
page and pick a different TopicClassification. You
can edit (but please don't save) an example bug page
to see how this works [6]. If you are not a registered
TWiki.org user you can log in as TWikiGuest with
password guest when prompted. Another workflow example
is support requests tracking [7].

Some companies use the forms to create databases with
relational tables, like for example a test results
tracking database [8]. There is no SQL as of now, but
that would be a nice enhancement.

-- Peter@Thoeny.com - http://TWiki.org/

[1] - http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/TWikiForms
[2] - http://TWiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/FormattedSearch