Subject: Re: autoconf
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:38:42 -0500 (EST)

   I might also mention that of the 5 times I have tried to use 'configure'
   followed by 'make' to build some piece of (relatively) libre software on
   Linux, it failed 3 times (on gcc, ImageMagick, and kermit) and succeeded
   twice (on lcc and GNU make).  The failure on ImageMagick was definitely a
   portability failure; I no longer remember the cause of the gcc and kermit
   failures.

No released version of gcc has used autoconf to generate its configure
script, so I don't think that gcc provides a reasonable way of judging
whether autoconf works well.  I don't know about ImageMagick or kermit.

If autoconf is used correctly, it works *very* well in my experience.