Subject: Re: A few here may have an opinion on this
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:35:21 +0900

>>>>> "rn" == Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

    rn> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

    rn> "Reciprocal", please, not "viral".  Let's not inflame RMS
    rn> freely.

    >> "Reciprocal" is unacceptably inaccurate.

    rn> You want to use GPL'ed source code, you have to let other
    rn> people use your source code under identical terms.  What's not
    rn> reciprocal about that?

The third parties.  Reciprocity is a clause in a (typically bilateral)
agreement to treat the other parties to the agreement as they treat
you.  The relevant clause of the GPL requires me to give away the
store to third parties who need never do anything nice for me, and
indeed may be plotting the demise of my business.  On the other hand,
your gift to those third parties is of no direct benefit to me if I do
not share your moral evalution of free software.

    rn> In any case, the problem here is not that you're not using
    rn> reciprocal, it's that you are using viral.

OK, I'll stop then.  But I really wish someone would come up with an
equally accurate and evocative term.