Subject: RE: update server alternatives
From: "Larry M. Augustin" <lma@lmaugustin.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:29:36 -0800

>     Tom> They are trying to turn an FSB into a de facto proprietary
>     Tom> company -- to exploit the weaknesses of the community to
>     Tom> their advantage rather than trying to fix those weaknesses.

Why is that bad for RH?  RH is a business.  The community has a
weakness.  RH exploits that weakness to create a commercial opportunity.
RH wants there to be holes in what the community provides.  That creates
opportunities for them to sell a product that fills the void.  That hole
could be support, distribution, or whatever.  RH wants OSS to succeed,
but also wants there to be opportunities to create proprietary lock-in.
So in some cases they will proactively support the community, and in
other cases they will let the community fend for itself and create a
commercial product to fill the void.  I don't see a problem with that.

Larry