Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: eichin@thok.org
Date: 05 Nov 2002 01:07:50 -0500

> There's nothing to prevent the division of users into 60k populations
> along geographic and economic-region boundaries.  I think that's a
> good way to do it, personally.

Hmm.  I have an intuitive sense that what prevents this is "population
density", especially when you factor in "percentage of the population
that care."  Maybe this is because I grew up in an area (not all that
far from New York City, but a broad mix of economic levels) where a
region enclosing 60K people was over *10 miles* on a side, and scaling
by 25% (one system per *house* rather than per person) doubles the
size of that while you're still at a plausible saturation point.

I also get the feeling that this drives the proposed environment into
the space of systems that only work if they get the whole
population...