Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: eichin@thok.org
Date: 05 Nov 2002 01:13:16 -0500

> Isn't that what entrepreneurial risk is well-suited to explore?  Are
> you sure it doesn't have economic reality?

Entrepreneurial risk starts by scribbling on the backs of a lot of
envelopes, as we're doing here, and going for some product of "chance
of win" and "size of win".  In naive terms, we've come up with a bunch
of reasons chance-of-win is low, and you started out with a
size-of-win being low [in entrepreneurial-reward terms - I can sort of
see the large-social-win you're going for.]  That's not a good place
to start...

Of course, lots of interesting things happen when someone runs the
numbers and takes the risk *anyway*.  But I think that typically needs
a compelling drive and a large pool of uncompensated work to draw upon :-)