Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: eichin@thok.org
Date: 05 Nov 2002 01:58:14 -0500

>        > environment into the space of systems that only work if they
>        > get the whole population...
>
> What's wrong with that?  That's what "the FSB enemy" is credibly going
> after.

There's a difference (which I guess I didn't express clearly enough)
between *aiming* for "everything" and having a trajectory, and a model
that only works once you're there already; this feels like one of the
latter.

> Population density: ok, so, you have several in the bay area, NYC,
> miami etc. -- but just one for the dakotas.  What's the big deal?

Because the "one for the dakotas" isn't going to have *any* of the
university-style locality of community.  (Perhaps good online-presence
apps could help with this, and then you only need locality for cheap
bandwidth... but you only get to that world if the base technology
actually *works* out-of-the-box, which is on the far side of the
funded R&D you're pumping out of the fully deployed system, not the
near side.)

> "We need about 8 of these" -- T.J.

Recall, perhaps, that he was *right* -- given what "these" were at the
time...  lots of other things drove the development of computing, but
low-price-per-unit market demand wasn't one of them until decades later.