Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 00:13:47 -0800 (PST)

	bfox:

	The nightmare of updating 5,000 user's desktops in a small
	period of time

	[...]

	Oh, wait, then they won't be all running the same OS
	version exactly, and you'll be fighting a
	multiple-version-os nightmare in support.

Ah -- you seem to have ignored the premise of the plan or to be unware
of the historical practice that validates that premise.  All those 60k
users per community are getting their platform via a shared
distributed filesystem.  They are all in sync.  They don't have to
personally apply upgrades -- their support staff does it for them.
It's computing as subscription service, not computing as your own
personal ham radio station.  This proposal does not fall victem to the
problem you mention -- it solves it.  Not only does the plan solve it,
but the plan is lifted from historical experience of _it having
already been solved_.

What do you think MSFT's recent controversial licenses are about, if
not this?  "Forced" upgrades are The Right Thing.

	   32 support engineers : 60,000 users

	   Oh.  Well that ratio sounds about right.  Let's see, how
	   many IT people does GM have available to provide support?
	   How many employees?

Yes, well, CMU did much better than corporate IT seems to be doing, on
a smaller budget.  Perhaps they still do, I don't have direct
knowledge.  It would be interesting to investigate with an open mind.

I have personally witnessed a small number of support staff (O(2))
update the OS and desktops of O(10,000) users overnight.  15 years
ago.  Using shell scripts and tiny C programs.

Computers are like telephones.  I can trade yours for mine and neither
of us should suffer any loss of service.  Unless, of course, we happen
to be in that elite .01% of the most savvy users who hack our own
equipment.  Of course, if we do trade, you can peek into my cache and
find my embarassing love letters.

	eichin:

	Because the "one for the dakotas" isn't going to have *any* of the
	university-style locality of community.

I guess you haven't spent much time there or anyplace similar?

"It ain't rocket science."
-t